Skip to content

Water/Sewer Bill Information:

The Utility Collector bills and collects all water/sewer rents.  Your water/sewer bill is calculated based on actual usage multiplied by the water and sewer rates set by the Mayor and Borough Council.  The usage is calculated by having the Borough Meterman go out to each residence on a quarterly basis to obtain a reading and subtracting out the previous meter reading.  The water rates are set under ordinance number 36-03.  The sewer rate is set under ordinance 25-94.

The water rates are based on the size of your meter.  Most residential houses have 5/8 inch meters.

Quarterly Minimum Water Rates

Meter Size

Water Allowance
(in cubic feet)


5/8 inch

0 – 450


3/4 inch

0 – 900


1 inch

0 – 1,350


1 ¼ inch

0 – 1,800


1 ½ inch

0 – 2,250


2 inch

0 – 4,500


3 inch

0 – 6,750


4 inch

0 – 9,000


6 inch

0 – 18,000


8 inch

0 – 27,000



Consumption in excess of the water allowance is billed $32.50 per 1,000 cubic feet for the first 2,500 cubic feet and $28.75 per 1000 cubic feet for consumption over the 2,500.

The sewer portion of the water/sewer bill is calculated at 160% of the total water portion.

The due dates of the water/sewer bills are January 1, April 1, July 1 and October 1 of each year.

The Borough of Keyport has a 10-day grace period. On the eleventh day interest is accrued going back to the original due date of the 1st of the month. However, if the 10th of the month falls on a weekend or Borough Holiday, you will have the next business day to pay without interest.

 If interest is charged it is calculated at 8% per annum on the first $1,500.00 of delinquency and 18% per annum on any amount in excess of $1,500 to be calculated from the original due date of the quarterly tax until the date of actual payment.  Payments received on delinquent accounts are applied in the following manor:

  1. Any interest due
  2. Oldest delinquency first
  3. Subsequent delinquencies

Previous Balances on Water/Sewer Bills:

When you receive your water/sewer bill, if there is a previous balance showing, this would mean your previous bill was not paid.  If you paid your bill and there is a small previous balance showing that would mean we received your previous payment after the due date and grace period. Therefore, interest was deducted from your payment and a balance was left on your account. If you know your payment is going to be made after the grace period, or if there is a previous balance, please call our department so we can inform you of the amount of interest to include with your payment to bring your account current.

Water/Sewer Account Payments:

When payments are made, please make your check payable to the Borough of Keyport. Please also include your account number on the check. If you pay through your online service please be sure to put the account information in the subject line.

If you would like a receipt: 

  1. When paying in person, please bring the top of the bill to be stamped paid.
  2. When paying through the mail, please include a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Water Meters and Meter Registers:

A property’s inside water meter records all water usage and it is hooked to an outside antenna so entry to the property is not needed every quarter for billing purposes.

If you receive a water/sewer bill for the minimum charge ($136.76 for a 5/8 meter) or the consumption zero or lower than normal and you know you were using water during that time, this could indicate an issue with reading your meter. If you suspect a problem, please do not hesitate to call the water/sewer billing department at 732-739-3900 to have the Department of Public Works come out and check.

Water Service Termination Due to Delinquent Accounts:

The termination of water/sewer service due to delinquent accounts is executed in the spring months.  To avoid this unpleasant situation, please keep your account current. 

On or before April 1 the Utility Collector will send out 30-day notice letters to any property owner (if the mailing address is out of town, a letter will also be sent in c/o Tenant) that has a delinquent water/sewer account balance of fifty ($50.00) dollars up to and including the January water/sewer bill. The letter will advise of the amount due, plus interest, the last date the Borough will accept personal checks and a final date of payment before termination will occur. 

The Utility Collector, about 15-days after the initial mailing, will send out a second and final letter.  

After the office closes on the final date listed in the letter the Utility Collector will compile a list of unpaid accounts and fax it to the Department of Public Works to start shut offs at 7:00 am the next business morning.

Once the list is faxed an on/off fee of $100 will be charged whether the service has been terminated or not since the date for payment has passed and the Department of Public Works is in the field doing shut-offs. 

If service is terminated it shall not be restored until the delinquent amount, including the April billing, interest as set by New Jersey Statue, turn off fee (fifty dollars ($50)), turn on fee (fifty dollars ($50) and if applicable, meter pull fee (one hundred dollars ($100), is paid in full in cash, money order or certified bank check. 

If any check, used to pay an account that has received a notice for termination, is returned by the bank for any reason, there will be no further notice.  The Department of Public Works will be contacted to terminate service of said account.  If service is terminated on any account it shall not be restored until the entire amount due on the account, any additional interest that may have accrued, turn off fee (fifty dollars ($50), turn on fee (fifty dollars ($50) and if applicable, meter pull fee (one hundred dollars ($100)), and a twenty ($20) return check charge as per N.J.S.A. 40:5-18c is paid in full, in cash, money order or certified bank check.

If any water account is turned on by anyone other than the Department of Public Works the Utility Collector will file charges with the Keyport Police Department for theft of service under N.J.S.A. 2C:20-8.

Changes to Water/Sewer Account:

Please advise the Tax Office, in writing, if there are changes to your account.  For example, new mailing address, sale of property, new tenants, etc.

Water Bills Involving Tenants:

If you would like to have your tenants receive a copy of the water/sewer bill, please advise the Borough of Keyport in writing.  Please be aware that since the Borough of Keyport supplies and bills for the water/sewer rents, they are considered a municipal charge and can make the property susceptible to tax sale.  

Keeping Meters from Freezing:

As per Borough Ordinance 14-1.12e, Property owners are responsible for damage to meters caused by freezing.  During the winter months, please be sure your meter is insulated against the cold.  Not only can it cause damage to the meter but if it breaks it can cause a flood in your home.

Steps to prevent frozen pipes/meters:

  • Insulate your pipes/meter
  • Keep you home above 55º
  • Turn off water before going away
  • Drain outdoor spigots each fall

If you go out of state for the winter months, you can have the Department of Public Works turn the water off at the curb and pull the meter.  If this is done, then have a plumber blow out the pipes.  This will prevent any damage while you are away.  You can contact the Department of Public Works at 732-739-5428.


If you are moving, please schedule to have a final reading of your water meter.  Someone must be home because the Meterman must have access to the inside meter.  When you schedule the reading, you must provide the Water/Sewer Billing Department with the date and time for the reading and the name and fax number of the closing attorney.